Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Lentil soup, my love

My day started out with a weird stomach.  So I had small snacks throughout the day that weren't eventful enough for me to take pictures of.


After my 4.5 mile run on the treadmill (while watching Dexter, the best!), I finally felt hunger and there was only one thing I wanted....SOUP!


 


I have craved lentil soup for months and today I made it for the first time. It was also my first time making any type of soup for that matter.  And it was SO good!




[caption id="attachment_83" align="aligncenter" width="502" caption="The loot"][/caption]

I used this recipe because 767 reviews means its GOOD.


Start by chopping your veggies and adding them to 1/4 of a cup olive oil.





[caption id="attachment_84" align="aligncenter" width="491" caption="The Base of the soup"][/caption]

 




[caption id="attachment_85" align="aligncenter" width="491" caption="Let the onion and veggies soften before adding more ingredients"][/caption]

Add the remaining spices.


 




[caption id="attachment_86" align="aligncenter" width="491" caption="Garlic, Bay Leaves, Oregano, and Basil"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_87" align="aligncenter" width="491" caption="The soup with lentils, water, and crushed tomatoes"][/caption]

Let simmer for an hour.


 




[caption id="attachment_88" align="aligncenter" width="491" caption="The finished product"][/caption]

And viola delicousness!  Seriously the best.  The only alteration to the original recipe was that I blended half of it to thicken it up and added potatoes.

 

 

Ingredients



  • 1 onion, chopped

  • 1/4 cup olive oil

  • 2 carrots, diced

  • 2 stalks celery, chopped

  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano

  • 1 bay leaf

  • 1 teaspoon dried basil

  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes

  • 2 cups dry lentils

  • 8 cups water

  • 1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced

  • 2 tablespoons vinegar

  • salt to taste

  • ground black pepper to taste




Directions



  1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.

  2. Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.



Now I'm off to make a cheesecake for my best friends birthday!  I'll be back with the results in the morning!

xoxo,

Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment